Monday 2 August 2021

Famously Creepy Sayings from Books

Here are some of the scariest quotes of all time, drawn from books over the years. Enjoy this creepy list curated by the Imagahub review team.

“Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice.”

Inferno (Dante Alighieri)

“Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and caldron bubble.”

Macbeth (William Shakespeare)

“O little one, My little one, Come with me, Your life is done. Forget the future, Forget the past. Life is over: Breathe your last.”

Abarat (Clive Barker)

“Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don’t want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.”

The Ritual (Adam Nevill)

“Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling, By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore. ‘Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,’ I said, ‘art sure no craven, Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore – Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!’ Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore.'”

The Raven (Edgar Allan Poe)

“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.”

Robert Bloch

“I laugh maniacally, then take a deep breath and touch my chest – expecting a heart to be thumping quickly, impatiently, but there’s nothing there, not even a beat.”

American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis)

“Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!”

Dracula (Bram Stoker)

“Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.”

I Am Legend (Richard Matheson)

“Walls have ears. Doors have eyes. Trees have voices. Beasts tell lies. Beware the rain. Beware the snow. Beware the man You think you know.”

Songs of Sapphique (Catherine Fisher)

“Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”

The Tempest (William Shakespeare)

“We ask only to be reassured About the noises in the cellar And the window that should not have been open.”

The Family Reunion (T.S. Eliot)

“There are horrors beyond life’s edge that we do not suspect, and once in a while man’s evil prying calls them just within our range.”

The Thing on the Doorstep (H.P. Lovecraft)

“Last night I saw upon the stair, A little man who wasn’t there, He wasn’t there again today Oh, how I wish he’d go away…”

Antigonish (William Hughes Mearns)

“The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door…”

Knock (Fredric Brown)

“Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells ’em off for a coupla stones.”

The Diviners (Libba Bray)

“I am like a small creature swallowed whole by a monster, she thought, and the monster feels my tiny little movements inside.”

The Haunting of Hill House (Shirley Jackson)

“Blood is really warm, it’s like drinking hot chocolate but with more screaming.”

Zombie Haiku (Ryan Mecum)

For plenty more thrilling horror, check out Imagahub today.

No comments:

Post a Comment